[Fusionforge-general] Could not connect to database

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Thu Nov 19 16:21:59 CET 2009

Florian Effenberger, 2009-11-19 16:02:05 +0100 :

> Hello,
>
> every now and then, some tools like SpamAssassin or pg_dumpall throw a
> "Could not connect to database" error on me since FusionForge has been
> installed. I think it has something to do with /etc/nsswitch.conf
> adding user databases, but I don't know exactly where to look for.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes.  The problem is actually a bug in libnss-pgsql, and it goes like
this:

- pg_dumpall (for instance) tries to connect to the database;
- then it tries to do some username→uid resolving or similar;
- this NSS resolving calls nss-pgsql, which tries co connect to the
  database;
- that second connection fails, presumably because there's one in
  progress already;
- you get an error message.

  I've never seen any consequences apart from the error message, so I've
ignored it so far.  It's an inconvenience, but not a big one.

  (Note that if you don't have a running nscd, the fourth and fifth
steps become "that second connection blocks" and "you get an deadlock",
respectively.)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas