[Fusionforge-general] Improvement of generated HTML

nicolas debeissat ndebeissat at open-s.com
Tue Nov 24 12:14:52 CET 2009

Hello

I am Nicolas Debeissat, developer from Open-S. I am in contact with
Roland Mas for the improvement of default theme of fusionforge. I talked
with some of you on IRC.
For now I am migrating a theme from FusionForge 4.5 to FusionForge 4.8
and I reported some changes which have been done outside the themes/
folder. I joined the modifications I have done. As you can see, there
are lots of changes outside that folder.

Some of them have been done in order to respect accessibility rules,
others are about HTML compliance, and some changes have been done in
order to let the possibility to override some HTML generation inside the
theme (methods added in Layout.class.php).

The point now is to try to merge those changes with the trunk version of
FusionForge, in order to improve the HTML generated by FusionForge and
to improve the customization possibilities inside themes.

I had a look at Smarty functions, I think that can be possible to let
theme developers decide which libs they use adopting that structure :

code outside themes call functions like $HTML->html_image,
$HTML->html_textarea ... as designed originally. Those methods can be
overridden in Theme.class.php.
All the default HTML generation code can not be written in
Layout.class.php, otherwise that class would be 10 kms long. So it needs
utils files, which can be put inside www/include/utils/ . So, the
behavior by default would be to call functions inside
www/include/utils/table_utils.php, www/include/utils/form_utils.php, etc...
That behavior can then be overridden in Theme.class.php in order to call
Smarty functions for example.

What do you think about that ?

Regards
Nicolas Debeissat