[Fusionforge-general] Shall we get rid of unmaintained code?

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Fri Apr 9 14:46:05 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Time passed, and nobody stepped up to maintain some pieces of the code.
While stable code isn't necessarily bad, in some cases it confuses
potential developers or users.  I propose to get rid of the following
cases:

- database-mysql.php, and the code that switches between it and its
  pgsql equivalent.  Their presence might imply that we support MySQL to
  some extent, which is quite clearly not the case.  Removing them will
  probably make some parts of the code slightly simpler.

- non-default themes.  They haven't been maintained for years apart from
  API transitions, they were very probably broken by the accessibility
  patches that reworked the way themes are organised, and so on.

  I'm hereby asking for people with objections to make themselves known.
If none appear, I'll probably do a round of commits in the coming weeks
removing that dead code.  If interested people come to light later on,
we'll still be able to resurrect that code from Subversion.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Using a big hammer without caution can cause big damage.
  -- PostgreSQL documentation, chapter 42