[Fusionforge-general] Mediawiki plugin again

Olaf Lenz lenzo at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Wed Apr 28 15:01:24 CEST 2010

Hi!

In the morning we already had a discussion on the mediawiki plugin and
the links between FF and MW. I had afterthoughts that I would like to
present here. Currently, the construction is a follows:

/usr/share/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/www/
    contains the FF-specific LocalSettings.php. Either the packaging or
the setup script mw-plugin-init.php will install a number of symlinks
here. Most of these are links to /usr/share/mediawiki/* plus some more
to /usr/share/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/mediawiki-skin/.

/var/lib/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/projects/
   contains the "images" directory and possibly a file ProjectSettings.php.

I would suggest to simply remove the extra level of indirection in
/usr/share/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/www/. Instead, we install links to
/usr/share/mediawiki directly in the projects/<project>/ subdirectories.

Pros:
- -----
* No need for the installation script mw-plugin-init.php or any link
creation in the packaging: the links in /var/lib are created by the
cronjob "create-wikis.php". The script does not need any extra
permissions for that, just the common gforge permissions.

* No file in /usr/share/gforge/plugins/mediawiki has to be modified, so
it really contains only static, read-only data.

* The Apache config files are much simpler.

* No guessing of the FF project name from the URL (as done currently in
LocalSettings.php).

* Each dir under /var/lib/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/projects/ basically
contains a MW installation. This is very convenient for someone coming
from MW.

Cons:
- -----
* Some more operations on the file system level. Currently, when uploads
are disabled, /var/lib/gforge/plugins/mediawiki/projects/ is mostly
empty, and create-wikis.php will (almost) only create the database tables.

* The links to the projects all exist several times, for each project.
When mediawiki is updated, all the links for all projects have to be
updated. I see this as a minor issue, as it is necessary to run a
special update script for all projects in that case anyway, to update
the MW db.

What do you think of that approach?

Olaf