[Fusionforge-general] Installing fusionforge on RedHat 5

JL Bond Consulting fforge-list at jlbond.com
Thu May 27 07:52:30 CEST 2010

To those who would like RPM installation of fusionforge in RHEL environment,
attached is our SPEC file, some of the patches we develop, and additional
README/documentation we include to help the installer. This is for
fusionforge 4.8.3 however, and has been tested on RHEL 5, which we believe
should easily work in CentOS 5.x too.

It is by no means perfect. In fact, we might still need to try some other
things to fix some problems, this is very much work in progress. Some of the
patches are just for our own sanity, like converting all ereg* functions to
preg* since they are deprecated in PHP 5.3.x, which we are using.

We struggled a LOT with mediawiki plugin and ended up writing a patch to
make it work to our satisfaction. But, I don't know if this is in harmony
with the intent/philosophy of the core developers or if anyone cares if it
works in 4.8.x series?

But, if anyone wants to test it out, use it, improve on it, make suggestions
to us on how to make it work better (or the right way, if there is a right
way), we welcome your feedback. This is our first time working on
fusionforge, so we don't know what is the group's philosophy on how to
approach some of the issues; so we only attempt our own way for now until we
have a better understanding.

For us, using the RPMs built from this SPEC file made setting up fusionforge
4.8.3 w/ a working mediawiki plugin a much simpler process. Maybe it might
help someone else too?

-Bond