[Fusionforge-general] News from today's IRC meeting

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Fri Oct 29 16:24:11 CEST 2010

  Hi all,

We don't often do reports from the IRC meetings (although we should),
but several important topics were discussed today, so I wanted to post a
brief summary.

- Templating engine: there is agreement on the benefits, and we mostly
  discussed which one to pick.  Based on considerations of popularity
  and integration with WYSIWIG editors for HTML, we ended up picking
  Smarty 3.  So, we'll probably slowly migrate from our current system
  of HTML generation to Smarty templates, and new features/plugins are
  encouraged to consider using Smarty from the start.

- Javascript framework: we currently have some files using JQuery, some
  using Scriptaculous, some using YUI and some using Prototype.  We'd
  like to standardize on one.  Alain and Franck both prefer JQuery, and
  I have no clue about Javascript so we're tentatively standardizing on
  that.  Christian will check how that integrates with the stuff coming
  from Codendi (which uses Scriptaculous/Prototype).  Again, we'll
  migrate the existing stuff progressively, and new features/plugins are
  encouraged to use JQuery from the start if they need a Javascript
  library.

- New RBAC engine: the testsuite isn't complete yet, but once it is,
  I'll switch the default access-control mechanism to the new one.  The
  old code will be kept around for a while in case something unexpected
  forces us to roll back, but otherwise it should be removed at some
  point in the not too distant future.

- New docman: Franck has reimplemented most of it, with a WebDAV
  frontend.  The WebDAV part still lacks two things: authentication
  (which should be ready soon), and the ability to upload through
  WebDAV (which will take more time).

- We'll probably start a branch for 5.1 in the coming few weeks, because
  we're starting to feel tension between new features and the need to
  reach stability.  I'd like to see the new RBAC system in there, and at
  least the authentication part of docman/webdav.  New features we
  haven't heard about yet will have to wait :-)

Roland,
moderator for today's session.
--
Roland Mas

Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus.