[Fusionforge-general] Our plugin for OSLC-CM REST API for the trackers - Was: [Fwd: [Fusionforge-commits] r10655 - in trunk/plugins/coclico: . oslc/include oslc/include/oslc-zend oslc/include/oslc-zend/application

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Thu Sep 23 18:40:03 CEST 2010

Hi.

FYI, this is the first commit we (well Sabri, actually) make in order to
contribute the OSLC-CM compatible REST server plugin we've been working
on for several months (in the frame of the public funded HELIOS and
COCLICO projects, btw).

It includes a Zend framework based REST server application that is meant
to allow to interact with the forge's trackers using the OSLC-CM V2
protocol.

OSLC-CM is supposed to offer a standardized protocol so that client
applications (consumers) can connect to any Change Management resources
servers (trackers in FF terminology), and interoperate with REST HTTP
invocations, as well as through AJAX web UIs. We see OSLC as one of the
cornerstones to tools interoperability (getting rid of custom SOAP or
XMLRPC ad-hoc connectors for every tools vs. a standard protocol). For
the curious ones, although lead by proprietary vendors, OSLC is an Open
standard (and specs are elaborated in an open community we have joined a
while ago).

It is supposed to function somehow like the trackers SOAP API, on top of
FF's internal APIs, but using HTTP/REST of course, and offering more
nice features (someday : it's not yet finished, nor complete WRT OSLC-CM
V2 specs coverage).

FYI, our plugin contains code (the part
inside /trunk/plugins/coclico/oslc/include/oslc-zend/application based
on the Zend framework) that is common to the Mantis similar add-on that
we have developped in parallel (it's supposed to be a MVC application,
where parts of the controller and views are based on same code, whereas
the model relies on different databases : Mantis' and FusionForge's).

Together with Mantis, it makes FusionForge the two first FLOSS
application that are going to support OSLC-CM on the server side
(AFAIK). Ah, yes, I forgot to say it's published under the GNU GPL V2 or
later license. On the client side, Mylyn is probably supporting some of
OSLC, but may not yet be able to connect to our plugin.

We hope it will be able to support Codendi trackers some day too, using
the same codebase (and same plugin structure maybe).

It may as well serve as a basis for other OSLC domains servers (CM is
only one of many specs : think about SCM, for instance).

See more details are available in :
https://fusionforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=62&group_id=6&atid=114 for a start.

Of course, this is just a start, and we'd welcome any comments, remarks,
questions and other flames (commits may be welcome, but we may
appreciate to discuss them first in order to help maintain some coherent
codebase with the Mantis part).

We intend to setup a demo site very soon to allow testing it (whenever
we have rebuilt Debian packages for it).

Best regards,

P.S.: there is supposed to be some docs alongside the code at places,
but I fear the git-svn commit made by Sabri somehow got rid of it...
something we'll fix soon. In the meantime, some docs may be seen in
http://heliosplatform.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/heliosplatform/mantis-oslccm/trunk/oslcv1-rest-server/ or instance