[Fusionforge-general] Plugin Compact Preview License

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Wed Aug 22 13:35:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Sabri LABBENE wrote:

> > It's tutorials nearly all of the time, maybe authors don't consider that
> > they have published
> > real software that need to be protected by a license.

This is *wrong*. While IANAL, I do know that, under the Berne
Convention, *all* work that is sufficiently creative is under
copyright protection *automatically*, and you need a licence
to *allow* others to redistribute it.

No licence, no redistribution by others (and other things).
Oh. And yes, that does include Public Domain. Currently, I’m
no longer accepting “PD” contributions that come without a
fallback copyright licence, like the following one I got for
mksh (based on Charles Forsyth’s Public Domain Bourne Shell):

.\" In countries where the Public Domain status of the work may not be
.\" valid, its primary author hereby grants a copyright licence to the
.\" general public to deal in the work without restriction and permis-
.\" sion to sublicence derivates under the terms of any (OSI approved)
.\" Open Source licence.

So, yes, you really *do* need a copyright licence, in all
cases, at least in Europe-sans-UK. (TINLA, but still.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH