[Fusionforge-general] Git Password Authentication Error

Roland Mas lolando at debian.org
Thu May 10 10:26:09 CEST 2012

Mavin Martin, 2012-05-09 12:09:10 -0600 :

> I have FusionForge installed on Ubuntu and I'm trying to get git
> working correctly.  I'm running into an issue with accessing the git
> repository.  When I use the following command:
>
> git clone git+ssh://admin@fusionforge.org//var/lib/gforge/chroot/scmrepos/git/mavintest/mavintest.git
>
> it prompts me for a password.  Entering the password, it prompts:
>
> Permission denied, please try again.
>
> The only way that I can retrieve the project is as a linux ssh user
> like root not created via fusion forge.  Does anyone know how to link
> fusion forge with the main system so I can checkout a project and also
> push it back to the git repository after changes are made?

  If you installed FusionForge via the *.deb packages, that linking
should happen automatically.  You should check the NSS and PAM
configurations, and the logs, to be sure.  Do the users exist in NSS?
Is it simply a matter of the passwords not being recognized?

  To be honest, the packages are prepared and tested on Debian systems.
It's quite possible that Ubuntu diverged from Debian in the way NSS and
PAM are configured; they did that for PostgreSQL some time ago, which
“broke” the FusionForge packages, so I wouldn't be surprised if this
were another case of the same behaviour.

  I'd be glad if you could report your findings.  Patches would be even
more welcome, but I wouldn't blame you if none came; you wouldn't be the
first person to shy away from regularly adapting the packages to
whatever divergence Ubuntu thinks is a good idea this week :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Fate always wins...  At least, when people stick to the rules.
  -- in Interesting Times (Terry Pratchett)