[Fusionforge-general] Migrating Savannah to FusionForge

Franck Villaume franck.villaume at trivialdev.com
Tue Oct 29 20:20:59 CET 2013

Le 28/10/2013 21:18, Sylvain a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I started a discussion with some Savannah Hackers about migrating
> Savannah to FusionForge.
>
> Context: the Savane project didn't find a new maintainer after I
> progressively withdrew from it, and I think it may be good thing to
> officially deprecate Savane in favor of something else.  It's not news
> - for the past 2 years a guy had some wish to mentor a GSoC student to
> work on the stalled Python/Django rewrite (though didn't eventually),
> but each time I pointed it would make more sense to move to
> FusionForge, which was the closest active free project. And IMHO still
> is :)
>
> Since I'm going to work on FusionForge next year, I thought it would
> be a good opportunity to bite the bullet, officially deprecate Savane,
> and help Savannah "upgrade" to FusionForge along the way.
>
> Note that I'm not officially part of the Savannah Hackers for a couple
> years now, so the decision is not mine.  Also they may think newer
> alternatives are more suitable (Redmine, Allura?).  Last, this is
> unrelated to my work on FusionForge next year - I pointed them the
> opportunity to switch to a project I'd be working on, but this
> Savannah work would be on my personal time anyway, just like now.
>
> Anyhow, at this point of the conversation, the decision in mixed with
> various other issues, from finding more sysadmins for the Savannah
> platform, to thinking about building a separate platform from scratch.
>

> The goal of this mail is to mention this potential change, but more
> importantly to ask for your thoughts about such a migration from
> Savane to FusionForge: do you expect any high incompatibilities (that
> would make a migration script particularly hard)? Missing features
> (trackers triggered transitions comes to mind, but they aren't used
> much)? Architectural diverging choices (chroots maybe)?
>
> Feel free to ask me for more details on the current setup.
>
> I've been experimenting a little with FusionForge, but I'd be glad to
> hear what more experienced devs think about this :)
>
> Cheers!
> Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

If features are missing, maybe it's time to implement them into
Fusionforge.
About migration, I do not think about incompatibilities but maybe some
heavy changes. Any documentation available about savane features ?

Can you share with us some informations about the current savannah
deployment ? (general architecture : is source code hosted on the same
machine as the php frontend ?)

How can we help to make the decision happen ?

Best regards,
Franck

--
TrivialDev Founder