[Fusionforge-general] Plans for packaging

Sylvain Beucler - Inria sylvain.beucler at inria.fr
Thu Apr 24 11:12:08 CEST 2014

Last Friday, Christian mentioned he'd work on install-ng just before he left.
Then packaging was discussed again a little bit.  Let's recap.

- Beuc recommends (re)implementing the packaging as a thin layer over a
set of common Makefile's, to be shared by Debian, RedHat, and others.

> Question: Would that mean to merge back packaging in master ?

Note that 90% packaging is already in master in the packaging/ dirs.  These would be replaced by the Makefiles, so in master.
What was moved out of master is deb-specific/, which (independently of the packaging) we've been working on merging / de-duplicating.

The Debian packaging is traditionally kept separate to accommodate some Debian tools, and to allow branching depending on target (e.g. stable, unstable, backports).
However, having to merge the upstream and debian repos several times a day is a pain, so I wouldn't mind getting rid of the debian intermediary repo somehow, especially if the packaging is nearly identical on all targets.

.spec files are currently in master and can stay there I think.

- Beuc willing to check if Ubuntu support for FusionForge .deb packages
(reputably broken) is simple to fix, so we can avoid writing a warning
about it in the IRC channel topic.  nerville going to remove said
warning anyway.

> Question: Wouldn't be that difficult to add ubuntu builds in the bot, LTS only ?

I guess not, though OTOH the buildbot seems quite busy and it's annoying enough already to wait up to several hours to see if the latest commits pass the tests.

> Christian: Massively cleaning the now quite unreadable makefile, if no objection.

(do you mean "install-ng"?)

I'd recommend detecting features rather than OS (autoconf philosophy) - e.g. assign $apache_user/$apache_group once rather than writing multiple install2_files_$distro functions.
If the Makefiles support DESTDIR, they can be reused by packaging, so let's do that too.
Post-install scripts can be installed in the system and run by the packaging on install.

--
Sylvain