[Fusionforge-general] Developping/testing in a Docker container

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Fri Mar 21 14:39:34 CET 2014

Hi.

BAYLE Christian <christian.bayle at orange.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why you have to use 2222 an 4443 ports,
> as far as I understand docker is more than lxc
> and I added some way of setting up the network with bridge in this page
>   https://fusionforge.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/fusionforge/index.php/LXC
>
> It's what I used in jenkins buildbot.

I don't know what range of options are available for docker containers,
network-wise.

Bridge networking could very well be working, but I haven't tested
that. For development purposes, it's not a big deal to use ports for
HTTPS, AFAICT, provided that the config is adjusted inside the forge,
like :
[core]
web_host = localhost
https_port = 4443

> It could be interesting to replace this with docker if it's possible to
> use snapshot function
> to roll back after every test, instead or reseting the database as we do.
>
> Did you investigate the snapshot function ? is it available

There's a similar feature, that allows one to create an image from a
running container.

If you look at the procedure in [2], more specifically in
https://fusionforge.org/plugins/mediawiki/wiki/fusionforge/index.php/Docker#Saving_the_installation_in_a_Docker_image
you'll see that after manuel installation and configuration of the
forge, a snapshot can be taken in an image, which will allow to start
over development creating as many containers as you want from that saved
image.

In principle, the aufs/cow FS layers in docker will make it so that the
footprint of these containers will be minimal (limited to the changes
made inside them), AFAIU.

That's the beauty of docker ;-)

Hth.

Best regards,