[Fusionforge-general] Project import/export web features suggestion.

Dionysios Fryganas dfryganas at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:30:45 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I have constructed a few non-complete suggestions about the project's
import/export features that should be visible available in the web
interface.

      Import/Export placement and link associations

        Project specific

The plugin import and export features would be meaningful to be placed
in the project/admin section under the admin->tools tab.
If that is the default position (haven't looked into that) , as an
admin/user then it would be friendlier to have a separate
"import/export" tab under the admin section of the project.

        Site-wide

For site-wide links I propose an additional link to be placed under the
"site admin" tab and specifically under the "site utilities".
If this is not too obvious, link to the plugin could be placed under
each category where it can provide an import/export mechanism.

      Private projects

My idea is to keep the plugin accessible from project or site
administrators, thus private projects can be exported/imported without
having to concern about access restriction.

If that approach is considered as wrong. The plugin could check keep
track of each users permissions on the hosted projects and present the
UI features only to users that have right access.

      Plugin UI features

*Generally speaking*

The plugin will follow the rest of the UI patterns used throughout
FusionForge.

That is, select boxes for fixed values in order to limit user confusion
on what the plugin can provide.
For example possible select box fixed values could be, the format to
export the data to, or the platform from which the data will be imported
from.

        Specifically

Although it might be a bit early to define the UI, as a future plan we
could define a few standard UI objects that will be present in the
import export plugin.

  * The Platform to choose to import from as a select list. (Google,
    GitHub, SourceForge, etc.)
  * The format that will be parsed (at least in the early stage of the
    plugin. In the future it could auto-detect the format?)
  * The targeted object in FusionForge (again, should that be automatic
    as well??)
  * A file input, to accept data for importation from uploaded files.

    Plan for integrating features in the web interface.

The integration can start by integrating each block that has been build
from the plugin's core.
As soon as the first portion of the plug-in is implemented, the features
will also be added in the web interface.
First step is to implement the importation of data from different
platforms. This approach is proposed since FusionForge already provides
many ways to export the data.

Regards,
Dionysis

PS. These are my ideas concerning web UI integration so far, as stated
in the beginning of the mail, these ideas are not thought as complete
and are posted here for feedback which will be highly valuable.